Thursday, June 14, 2007

Why am I anonymous?

I'm chicken. Really, I am. The religious fanaticism in the US right now means that future employees who google my name could deny me a job because of my lack of faith. If I ever want to do any freelancing, people could deny me their business because of it. It happens. Therefore, I remain closeted. My friends, some of my family, and one or two co-workers know that I'm an atheist, but day to day it's much easier to let people assume I share their beliefs.

I live in the so-called "Bible Belt." You know what that means. Liberty University is just a couple hours away. Drive less than an hour and you hit Salem, where Borat found that people would like to hang homosexuals. Yes, this isn't a very enlightened area, but it's beautiful, and as long as you don't talk politics or religion the people are some of the friendliest you'll meet for the most part.

So that's my MO. What should you expect? Who knows? We'll play it by ear.

5 comments:

vjack said...

As an atheist living in Mississippi, I understand the need for anonymity all too well. Don't feel like you should apologize for it - it is a matter of safety in the bible belt. Good thing for the internet, huh?

The Anonymous Atheist said...

hey vjack, thanks for stopping in.

Mississippi? I don't envy you. I think Virginia is safer!

One day, within our lifetimes I hope, people will catch on and we won't have to worry about anonymity.

rmacapobre said...

i lived in alabama before and i didnt feel i was oppressed. probably because people didnt know that i was atheist. and i wasnt about to advertise ..

this place you described. it sounds like some oppressed place in the middle east where the mohamedan majority rules ..

CHADMAC said...

I know how you feel. I never really discussed my atheism outside of a few close friends and one member of my family (my brother who is of a similar mind to myself). But I recently decided to go all out on my blog and see what happens. Of course, if I was planning on staying in the southern US, rather than moving back to Canada eventually, I probably would have been more hesitant.

The Anonymous Atheist said...

rmacapobre, no, nowhere near that bad. Its rare that someone gets hurt for being an atheist, but it's more a matter of discrimination and people trying to save you constantly.

chadmac, understandable. I bet Canada is much more tolerant of differences than the southern US :) Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but we do tend to have a fear of the unknown, as a whole.

Thanks for stopping in :)